WVU Upward Bound student, Preston High School senior awarded national contest scholarship

Ariana Huffman

Christmas came early this year for West Virginia University Upward Bound student Ariana Huffman the minute she won a four-year full-ride college scholarship – a value of nearly $360,000, or roughly $90,000 per year.

“I’ve dreamed about going to college since I was five years old and to learn that I’ve been admitted early seems surreal,” Huffman said. “I was walking through the hallway to class when a notification popped up on my phone that read ‘Congratulations.’ But I was too nervous to view the rest of the message. I turned over my phone and started shaking.”

Moments later, Huffman reopened the message to discover that out of more than 20,800 applicants, she was among 2,242 students to be awarded a QuestBridge National College Match Scholarship, which connects high-achieving high school seniors from low-income backgrounds with full four-year scholarships to one of the country’s 50 best colleges.

“My Upward Bound counselors first told me about this scholarship opportunity and helped me throughout the application process, keeping me on track as I wrote my essays, worked on my resume and collected letters of recommendation,” Huffman said. “They also truly believed in me and my capabilities. I couldn’t have done it without their support and guidance.”

Upward Bound Director Landon Southerly praised Huffman’s accomplishments.

“We could not be prouder of Ariana for being accepted into one of the top colleges in the country, with Haverford College holding an acceptance rate between 13 and 18 percent in any given year,” Southerly said. “Her quiet drive and knack for taking advantage of every opportunity to learn and grow has been inspirational to us all.”

The team first met Huffman virtually at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Upward Bound counselor Feagin Jones recalled that during most check-ins, Huffman’s internet was too slow for video conferencing, so they spoke through a black screen. 

“Ariana was often quiet and reserved. It’s been a privilege to watch her come out of her shell.”

Upward Bound counselor Kimberly Locy agreed, adding Huffman had cast doubts on attending a prestigious school when applying as a first-generation college student. 

“The college application process was new and seemed daunting at times. But Ariana’s talent, drive and focus never wavered,” Locy said. “It’s been exciting to watch her confidence, curiosity and openness explode over the years.”

Southerly emphasized the Upward Bound program embraces that holistic approach to help fulfill students’ aspirations.

“Watching students like Huffman grow personally and academically is what our program is all about,” Southerly said. “We know that Ariana has a bright future ahead. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for her.”

Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program housed at West Virginia University. Learn more at upwardbound.wvu.edu.